The Corry Area Historical Society, Inc. was born out of a search — a search which began in 1959 and culminated on June 1, 1965 when the first meeting was held to form the Society. The search was for a Climax engine – a coal-fired locomotive which was built in Corry up until 1930. The committee selected to conduct the search was comprised of Frank Grice, Armour Hillstrom, Philena Follett, Louis Sears, Kirk Sawyer, Norm Edinger, Walter Casler, and Sidney Elston. Once an engine was found, it was purchased for the scrap price of $2,500, and moved from Oneonta, N.Y. to a siding behind the former Corry-Jamestown building on Route 6. It remained on that siding for three years, pretty much away from public view until it was moved to a permanent spot on a specially constructed siding located at Mead Park. The next project would be to provide adequate cover for the old engine, which was built in 1928.
On June 1, 1965, a meeting was held for the purpose of forming a Historical Society and the name Corry Area Historical Society, Inc. was chosen. A committee consisting of Keppel Tiffany, Arden Baldwin, Victor Ohrn, Mrs. Harold Gilbert, Mrs Louis Morrow, Frank Grice, and Florence Grice was selected to set up the by-laws and the articles of corporation. On August 10, 1965, the society met at Nichols Lodge in Mead Park and elected the first officers. President: Frank Grice; Vice-President: Arden Baldwin; Secretary: Vera Tiffany; and Treasurer, Attorney Walter S. Peake. In 1967, the Climax engine was enclosed in a building designed by Norm Edinger and built with volunteer labor. Mrs. Maude Barnes cut the ribbon to the building which would become the first part of the Historical Society Museum on July 2, 1967. In the ’70s an additional building, which formed the upright portion of a “L,” the engine building providing the base to the “L,” was completed. During the 1984-1985 school year, the Vo-tech class, taught by Wallace (Dutch) Sickler, built the present meeting rooms and archival area. In 1987, a pole barn, separate from the museum and built to house the many engines and large equipment we had acquired, was built and in 1991 a building which connected the pole barn to the central museum was constructed. In 1994, landscaping by Allin Company was completed.
The Corry Area Historical Society, Inc. is in the process of reorganizing, updating and enhancing the museum building, contents and online presence. Be sure to revisit the museum and website often!
The majority of the work was made possible by grants from the Greater Erie Community Foundation and untold hours of donated time, labor and monies from willing workers in our community. Trades people, professionals and “just plain folks” all contributed in a big way to help make the museum what it is. Today, the museum houses a wealth of history from Corry and the surrounding area.
Feel free to stop by and visit the museum on most Thursdays from 10:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Call ahead if you are traveling from afar and we will make arrangements for your visit. We will resume summer hours on Memorial Day weekend. (814) 664-4749 or (814) 664-8740
Support the Museum by becoming a member of the Historical Society!
Type of Membership Dues
Individual (18-61) $ 10.00
Student (up age 18) $ 3.00
Senior Citizen (62+) $ 5.00
Lifetime Individual $150.00
Long Term Organization (10 years) $500.00
To join our Society, please request a membership form. It needs to be signed by the new member. Contact: email@example.com
Tombstone cleaning class
Saturday July 15, 2017
$15.00 donation for class
if interested respond to:
Monday July 30, 7:00 PM Historical Speaker Series
Karen Amos update on the Veil Adoptees
Hope to see you there.
Duck race tickets on sale at the Museum
$5.00, race will be Saturday August 13. 2017 at the Glen Mead Days
you do not need to be present to win.
Corry Area Historical Society, Inc.
945 Mead Avenue
Corry PA 16407