- Final Score: Edinboro 3, Mansfield 2
- Records: Edinboro 5-8-0, 4-8-0 PSAC l Mansfield 1-11-0, 1-11-0 PSAC
- Location: Mansfield, Pa. – Karl Van Norman Field
- Box Score
- The Short Story: Brittnie Spithaler scored two goals on Sunday afternoon to help the Edinboro women’s soccer team win its third straight game in a 3-2 victory over Mansfield at Karl Van Norman Field. Ellie Frania also scored in the win.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Brittnie Spithaler gave the Fighting Scots an early 1-0 lead at the 9:31 mark. The freshman gathered a pass from Danielle Chatten and fired a shot from 35 yards out in the middle of the field and over the head of Mansfield goalkeeper Stephanie Moir.
- Edinboro increased its lead to 2-0 just before halftime on Ellie Frania‘s second goal of the season. The sophomore forward found the back of the net from 20 yards out on a pass from Jessica Frank.
- The Mountaineers were aggressive to start the second half, as they cut the Edinboro lead in half at the 48:41 mark. Mansfield’s Nicolette DeSalvatore played a cross to Bria Bittiger who headed the ball into the back of the net.
- Nearly nine minutes later, junior Eleni Gebbia knotted the game at 2-2 off a pass from DeSalvatore.
- Spithaler put Edinboro back on top with her second goal of the match in the 62nd minute. She collected a pass from Mary Sinan that led to a 15-yard breakaway goal.
- Edinboro ended the match with a 41-11 advantage in shots, including 20-3 advantage in the first half. The Fighting Scots outshot the Mountaineers 21-8 in shots on goal.
- Brittnie Spithaler has scored a goal in Edinboro’s last three contests. She is second on the team in goals (5) and points (11).
- Ellie Frania scored her second goal of the season against the Mountaineers. She entered the contest with only four shot attempts this season.
- Jessica Frank and Mary Sinan each recorded their first career points in the win. Frank assisted on Frania’s goal, while Sinan was crediated with the assist on Spithaler’s game-winning goal.
- Freshman goalkeeper Anna Voelker finished with six saves for the Fighting Scots. Mountaineer freshman Stephanie Moir made 18 stops.
- Mansfield’s Eleni Gebbia was issued at yellow card at 73:08.
- The Fighting Scots are winners of their last three contests. They have outscored their opponents 10-3 during their winning streak.
- Edinboro remains undefeated against Mansfield all-time, 11-0-2.
- The Fighting Scots remain in competition for a PSAC Tournament berth. Edinboro is currently 11 points behind Slippery Rock, who is eighth in the conference standings with 23 points.
- Edinboro returns to Sox Harrison Stadium on Wednesday, October 17, for PSAC match against Seton Hill. The contest is scheduled to start at 6:00 p.m.
- The Griffins enter the week at 9-4-1 overall and 8-4-1 in the PSAC. Seton Hill picked up a 1-0 win over Pitt-Johnstown on Sunday.
- The Griffins are currently ranked sixth in the United Soccer Coaches Atlantic Region rankings.
- Edinboro leads Seton Hill 6-1-0 in the all-time series. The Griffins won last year’s meeting in Greensburg, 6-5.